Friday, November 7, 2008

The good news, the good news and the good news...

Firstly the best news of all is that we have new tickets home which leave here on the 10th (Monday). I offer huge and humble thanks to both Lindy in Whanganui and Myk in Nelson who both leapt to our rescue. I can't put into words how grateful we are for your pratical support, love and beams of white light. The humour went a long way to helping me keep my chin up too. Thank you both!

The next good news is that I made it to the NZ Embassy this morning wearing the best green shirt I could find, and yes, I got there on time and cast my vote. At dinner this evening I received news that all of the New Zealanders votes from Hanoi were already on their merry way to NZ for counting as special votes.

After voting Sky and I went out for lunch in the old quater overlooking Lake Hoan Kiem. We had to access the elevator through a shop that had floor to ceiling windows and glass doors. On the way out I reached for the door handle at the very same minute that Sky walked straight into the (very clean and therefore invisible) glass window. The look on her face was one of the funniest things I have seen in a long time and once she had figured out what had hit her (or rather what she hit) we both fell about laughing the poor shop staff didn't know what to make of us. We seriously walked nearly two blocks both doubled over hardly able to breath for laughing so much. Once we recovered sky's first comment was 'well they have clean glass don't they!' which set us off on another fit of laughter. The good news is that aside from a small bump on her head she is fine and in good humour.

The next good news is that we have just been at KOTO (Know One Teach One) restaurant with the NZ ambassodor, his wife and a whole crew of interesting New Zealanders working in Hanoi. KOTO is a project that has been running for nearly 10 years which houses, cares for, trains and provides jobs for young people that have been living on the street. It was fantastic, the food was delicious, the trainees and staff were great and the company was awesome. I got offered a job in an english speaking kindergarten (which I have to confess I am tempted by - I do miss working with little people) and we made great contacts to help establish education, aid and trade relationships between NZ and and minority groups that SPERI (Social Policy and Ecology Research Institute) are supporting. The ambassador and a manager of a local engineering company also gave me some good tips for making sure we get on our plane this monday.

I believe everything happens for a reason and I think that the day we had today and the contacts we made this evening are a good reason (although an expensive one) to still be in Vietnam. Not to mention the giggle I get whenever I recall Sky walking into the window!

1 comment:

Anne-Marie said...

Sorry to hear of the recent troubles in the travel plans, but glad things will work out in the end.

Voting in Hanoi - that's got to be one of the more exotic places for a New Zealander to vote. I went to the River Traders Market this morning [they were giving away free tomato plants again], then walked up Bell St to vote. Two green ticks ...